COVID-19 Update

Posted by

As of today (19th March 2020), all speedway events in New Zealand have been postponed or cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Obviously this is very disappointing but not very surprising given the current situation.

Speedway New Zealand have issued the following statement today:

“Due to the COVID-19 outbreak and legislative restrictions on gatherings, clubs nationwide in the sports sector have had no choice but to postpone or cancel most and if not all events.
Speedway NZ has been in discussions with the Ministry of Health and Sport NZ on a regular basis. After review of our Health and Safety policy we have come to the realisation that we cannot guarantee our volunteer or members safety. In light of this, Speedway NZ will not be permitting any speedway activity for the immediate future, a decision that was not taken lightly. The situation will be monitored and any further update will be via our news and social media feeds.
The board of Speedway NZ understands the financial impact COVID-19 is having on tracks and are actively investigating all avenues to ease the financial burden.
I thank you for your understanding in these extraordinary times.”